Join us for Community Workdays!
- Summer: Thursdays, 7-10am
- Academic year: Thursdays & Sundays, 3-5pm
All are welcome! No Duke affiliation or previous experience required.
We kindly request that groups larger than 5 send us a message at firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you're coming. Groups larger than 15 should inquire at least 2 weeks prior to confirm we don't have additional large groups booked for the day.
How to get to the farm
The farm is located near 4809 Friends School Rd, directly across from Carolina Friends School in the Duke Forest.
Coming from Duke University, take 751 to the roundabout and turn down Old Erwin Rd towards Chapel Hill. Turn right at Mt. Sinai and take another right onto Friends School Road. Just across from the Carolina Friends School, take another right onto the driveway marked Duke Campus Farm visitor parking. Please park in the fenced gravel parking lot.
If you are using GPS to get to the farm, enter “4809 Friends School Road,” then take the gravel drive, marked “Duke Campus Farm Visitor Parking,” to the fenced gravel lot directly across the street.
FREE TRANSIT between campus and the farm is available to Duke affiliates through Duke's partnership with Lyft. Sign a waiver and get your free rides by following the instructions on this link.
If you are arriving via Lyft or private vehicle, please park/get dropped off in our gravel visitors lot.
Our parking lot is located across the street from the Carolina Friends School. Please DO NOT drive down Narrow Ln for any reason; this is our neighbors’ private street and we want to respect their privacy! If you need to turn around, please do so at the Friends School or our parking lot. We will greet your group at the big entrance gate by the parking lot!
What to Wear & Bring:
- Comfortable, closed-toe shoes
- Long pants (to prevent skin contact with insects & plants that may cause discomfort)
- Refillable water bottle & snacks
- Sunscreen and/or a hat
- Rain jacket
- Any necessary medications
- Change of clothes (in case of rain or contact with insects/plants that may cause discomfort)
- We have a 1-person outhouse, also known as a pit toilet, near the pavilion for staff & visitors of the farm. Use guidelines:
- Please keep the seat down when not in use
- After use, please put 1 scoop of wood shavings or coffee chaff in toilet to help with moisture management/decomposition and close the lid to the toilet completely
- We ask you knock on the back on the facility before walking around to the front door to be sure it isn’t occupied.
- Please use the provided hand sanitizer on your way out and/or wash your hands after use (soap & water is located past the barn towards Narrow Ln. on the other side of the tool shed)