The Smith Warehouse was constructed in 1906 by the Ligget Tobacco Company a block south of Trinity College (now Duke's "East Campus"). Duke's decision to purchase and renovate the space, located adjacent East and Central Campus, demonstrates the institution's commitment to revitalizing urban spaces before encroaching upon green space.
Sustainable Site Features
In addition to reusing the building's original materials and foundation, renovating the old tobacco warehouse puts Duke employees closer to existing city, regional and campus bus routes. The building includes bike racks and showers to encourage biking. Exterior lighting is directed downward and controlled to reduce ambient light pollution.
The building achieves more than 20% improvements in water efficiency through fixtures on all faucets and low-flush toilets.
Smith Warehouse received LEED™ points for the use of contracts that ensure the mechanical systems in the building perform to efficient standards over the lifespan of the building.
Indoor Air Quality
Spaces are provided for the mixing of housekeeping chemicals, which are stored outside of the building. Copy machines, which can contain chemicals with suspected carcinogenic, neurotoxin, and other negative health impacts, are located in copy rooms, away from workspace, but convenient and accessible to all staff.
The building makes extensive use of locally-sourced renewable materials, including reuse of the historic warehouse itself. Lumber used in the building is FSC certified and recycled-content materials were used throughout the building. The construction team helped to reduce waste during the renovation, setting up construction & demolition recycling areas on site.
Integration of Sustainability in Design & Construction Process
The Smith Warehouse renovation received one point in this area for having a LEED™ certified Project Manager involved throughout the design and construction process.